I was desperately in need of a new easy lunch option. Not that I ever get tired of pasta (pretty much my everyday choice), but I needed something a little different. That’s when this recipe came in, and I kind of fell in love with it. I have Pinterest to thank for bringing me and this bowl together, and I adjusted it just a little bit. It’s so ridiculously delicious, and it has kind of a brunch-y vibe because of the nice fried egg on top. The flavors just go so well together, and oh my goodness I just love it so so much!
What you’ll need:
*Note that I only made enough for just me, so if you’re making this for more than one person increase amounts.
- 1 cup Minute Brown Rice and 1 cup water for cooking (or you can use leftover rice, whatever rice you’ve got will work)
- 1 chicken bouillon cube (only if making rice)
- 1 tsp red wine vinegar
- 1-2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 large egg
- about 1/2 an avocado, sliced
- a little handful of carrots, chopped small
- a little handful of zucchini, chopped small
- about 2 tbsp olive oil
- salt and pepper
- hot sauce (optional)
How to make it:
- (if necessary) Add your bouillon cube to 1 cup of water and cook your rice until all the liquid is absorbed.
- Sauté your carrots and zucchini in about 1 tbsp olive oil, until soft.
- Add red wine vinegar, carrots, zucchini, and green onions to your rice, then add salt and pepper to taste.
- Put a little more olive oil in the pan you cooked the veggies in, and crack your egg into it. Make sure you season with salt and pepper, and cook it to your liking (it’s best if the yolk is still nice and runny).
- Put your rice into a bowl, top with the egg, avocado, and hot sauce, and bask in the glory of this unbelievably tasty dish!
Not only is this delicious, it’s just so dang pretty! I mean look at it.
Mmmm…and when you break the yolk…
Wow. It’s just so nice to look at. It’s amazing. I’m pretty obsessed with this recipe right now, if you couldn’t tell. After the egg is on top and the yolk is broken, I like to cut it up into little pieces so I can mix it all together and get a little bit of the egg in each bite. The hot sauce is a nice added touch; it gives it just the bit of kick that this needs. The avocado makes it a little creamy and a little more heavenly. I could go on and on about this. But instead, I’ll let you all give it a try yourselves.
Do you have a favorite lunch recipe? Leave it in the comments!